Sunday 26 October 2008

culture shock~

Culture shock, based on the dictionary (Mr. Lee Leong Chiong said must always check dictionary), it simply means a feeling of confusion and anxiety that someone may feel when they live in or visit another country. In chinese is 文化冲击(在异国生活或访问时的一种困惑不安的感觉)。After I come to UK and stay for around 1 month, I really experienced it somehow. But I need to clarify that i never feel anxiety, what I feel is just purely confusion, and sometime feel novel. 我没有觉得不安,只是在某些事上觉得很困惑与新奇。

Now, let me list out something which are different here compare to Malaysia (maybe Asia):

1) Most of the shops here open at around 9am, but most of them (I think more than 90%) close at around 5-6pm. So basically we cannot buy stuff at night. In Malaysia, we always go shopping at night right?

2) Again more than 90% of the people here (including europe people and some foreigner) go clubbing. Everynight the clubs will open. So for the local people, after 5-6pm, which is after they close their shop or come back from school, most of them will go clubbing. They will dress themselves weirdly (for me is weired). Most of them will get drunk and started shouting and singing loudly anywhere without concern of others. I know in Malaysia people also go clubbing, but I never see that much people go clubbing and the same time, as well as get drunk and shout and sing at the same time! Here is normal for them. The other thing that I must salute them is, even they get drunk today, they still able to go back to their job and study on next day PUNCTUALLY! In Malaysia, a student will probably skip class or sleep in class.

3) The people here is very very very very punctual. For example, my class started at 9am, the lecturer will definitely come on time or earlier. Same as other activities. In Malaysia, hahaha! All malaysian know lah! No need to discuss thoroughly on this point. I am very very not used to it. They are too punctual! What for? Be late is our virtue mah! 迟到才显出你的大牌嘛!搞不懂!?

4) The chicken drumstick and thigh here is much more cheaper than chicken breast. This will never happen in Malaysia. Here 5 drumstick cost you 1.5 pound, but i chicken breast will cost you 3 pound! Malaysian should be happy because most of us like to eat drumstick more than breast meat.

5) I don't know why the people here seldom ride motorcycle. They will either drive a car or ride a bicycle. Walking is another option for them. I don't really see anyone here use motorcycle. In Malaysia, almost every teenagers know how to ride motorcycle and there are so many motorcycle on the road.

6) There are so so so many smokers here. Smoker? Malaysia also a lot lah! Apa hairan? OK, let me explain this more thoroughly. Here not only got a lot of male smoker, but also a lot of female smoker. From what I saw, almost 80% of the female here are smokers, including old aunties. In Malaysia I never saw that much of female smoker. Maybe the weather is too cold here???

7) There are so so so many people stroll along the street. The peculiar point here is that this will happen during every weekday's morning. Don't they need to work in the morning? Weekdays somemore. This will not happen on weekend, or will be less people on weekend. So, they only work during weekend???

8) There is NO chilli sauce here! In KFC, McD, supermarket, wherever, NO! Walau! So suffer! How to survive without chili sauce!?

9) The charges for local call here is more expensive than international call. In Malaysia, it goes the other way round.

10) Haha! I like this culture the most. The people here very open minded (I think). For ladies, they always dress very sexy. They don't mind to show off what they have,even in some different circumstances (some ladies do not have anything, but also like to show off. haha!) In my very personal opinion, i think that is good to be open minded. So this kind of culture should be disseminated to Malaysia as well for our own good. Malaysia Boleh! haha! (But sometime I really don't understand. Sometime the weather here is extremely cold and the wind is damn strong, they still dress themselves with very little clothes. Don't they feel cold???)


Those are the things that I feel shock and confuse because they are new to me. So... I hope i can get used to them as still have around 10 months to go on. (I think I had improved myself to get used to at least 1 point stated above, which is No. 10. Wuahahah!)

10 comments:

阿瘦 said...

文化冲击-在异国生活或访问时的一种困惑不安的感觉?!?!?!
i think is 文化享受gua...
see u so enjoy with the life o, especially point 10...
wer got 不安? or tat 不安 =不安分守己?

Mee Yien Kiing said...

I doubt whether we're living at the same place.Or simply is because the ang mo life style is like this.No idea.So I bet you wont be shocked by the culture here if you come.

荔加鼠DorisRica said...

既然这样~~你们更要努力,别让他们的文化影响了你们啊~~

但是也该知足哦~
我在登加楼连短裤,没袖的衣都不能穿~~!!王八的~~ 不过这种规矩绑得住我吗?! 不可能!!

哈哈~~~ 加油~~

小胖子 said...

我真的很困惑不安的!她们太开放了。哈哈!你知道啦!我这么单纯的...

荔加鼠DorisRica said...

嗯~~
听说单纯的人是不会说自己单纯的哦~
因为他们很天真认为每个人都跟他们一样。

Mee Yien Kiing said...

他们的文化其实也不差啊...
应该很少被奸吧..
因为那些女生已经露到那样了,干嘛好要浪费力气去强奸呢??有些可能还会倒人家的胃叻!!要被他们的文化影响,看看身材先!!

小胖子 said...

美燕我认同你。听说老外对性很开放的叻!要的时候通知对方应该就好了,不需硬来吧!哈哈!不懂。。。不过我也见到了很多倒胃口的!

Mee Yien Kiing said...

那你就该趁现在找个洋沑泡泡..开口就可以,便宜你了!!!哈哈!!

小胖子 said...

太容易得到的,我不感兴趣。哈哈!(其实我是很害羞的,开不了口。。。)

Unknown said...

walau eh..
seems like u r enjoying ur life at UK..
c gals more yea.. ^^